Wednesday, December 3, 2014

Hot Mexican!

Hot Mexican right here!  I mean, Mexican Hot Chocolate.  Hot chocolate reminds  of when I was young.  On a cold December day in El Paso, Texas my mama would whip up some mexican hot chocolate.  The taste was creamy with a hint of spice and a "puñito" of salt and it was oh so chocolatey topped off with mini colored marshmallows.  I just had to have the mini colored marshmallows in my hot chocolate!  Really quick, the story behind the word puñito: when my moms cooking she uses the word puñito, a lot.  Since I'm a coconut type of Mexican (brown on the outside, white on the inside) I would say to her, "what does puñito even mean?!"  She would cup up her hand and say, "aye aye aye Mija" and would point to the middle of her cuped hand and say, "you know, a little".  I would then to proceed to ask, "is that half a teaspoon, 1/4 teaspoon, a tablespoon?"  My mom (bless her heart because I was and still am a pain in her derriere) would say, "aye mijita, you know, a puñito!"  I now assume puñito is about 1/8 teaspoon.  Anyway, when I was looking for a Paleo friendly hot chocolate recipe, I was looking for something that was going to remind me of that warm feeling of comfort being at my mom's house in El Paso.  Low and behold I found a deliciously sweet n' creamy Mexican hot chocolate recipe on The Sprouting Seed.  I topped it off with the marshmallows I had made from the recipe I found on Urban Poser. I defiantly will be using this recipe a lot this winter and will be making this hot chocolate for my mom using a puñito of salt. 

No comments:

Post a Comment