Saturday, January 3, 2015

¡Viva la Churros!

Okay so first and foremost I don't speak Spanish buuuut I did grow up in a border city and frequented Mexico.  This morning as I was pondering what to make for breakfast I was checking out paleOMG's blog and came across Churro Waffles.  The taste brought back memories of being stuck on the bridge coming from Juarez going back home to El Paso, TX.  I bought not only chicharones (um not sure if I spelt that right) but also churros from the venders on the bridge that wiped your windows with a dirty rag and handed you a sweet treat.  These moments I shared with my grandma after spending a Saturday morning at the mercado and also coming home with friends in the wee hours after partying in Juarez.  When I was 18-21 I belived I was invincible and nothing could happen to me by spending time across the border.  I'm saddened by the tragedy that happens on the daily in Juarez.  I will not step foot over there anymore, I'm too scared and I still don't speak Spanish.    Haha, a good memory I would like to share is when my mom couldn't come with me to pick up my contact lenses (my ma was my translator) she would write in Spanish what I was supposed to say to my doctor on a piece of paper and gave me extra cash in case I got pulled over by the police. My eye doctor in Juarez spoke English but I would try my best to speak Spanish since I was in Mexico.  Anyway, the taste of these churro waffles brought back fond memories of Juarez and downtown street festivals in El Paso.  Muy delicioso!! 

No comments:

Post a Comment